Friday, March 25, 2016

Mail Order Meals-Green Chef

On our journey to find the best meal subscription box service for two my husband and I recently discovered, Green Chef. Since we used an introductory offer, the first box cost us $29 and it came with 3 meals of 2 servings each. I have since cooked all of the meals sent and will review my experience with Green Chef, below.

Ginger Tamari Steak, Veggie and Black Rice Ramen Salad, & Peanut Sauce

I forgot to photograph ours but this is a pretty accurate photo.
This meal was cooked for my best friend, Jeremy. He thought it was really good! I thought it looked delicious as well. I thought the dish was a unique, healthy, filling dinner. One GREAT thing about Green Chef is that all of their meals are 100% USDA Organic. This is the only box around that is. Also, their options are healthy. The fact that everything had peanut sauce on it, though, would've been a deal-breaker for my husband. Also, they have a lot of pre-chopped vegetables which diminishes quality for the sake of convenience. Additionally. the pre-made sauces make their recipes basically useless for future use. If you don't know what is in their marinades, etc. replicating them is impossible.

Honey-Balsamic Chicken, Lentils & Mushrooms, with Peperonata Salad

I forgot to photograph ours but the is a pretty accurate photo
This meal was delicious. I prefer dark meat chicken and I really think this marinade the chicken was in added very little to the chicken's flavor but my husband loved the chicken. I ate the lentils and portabella mushrooms but my husband doesn't like either so he had roasted corn in their place. The salad was good. I'll admit nothing was epic about this dish or overly original but it was very good. Again, pre-made marinades don't allow you to replicate the meal without being a subscriber. Green Chef also has Paleo and Gluten Free options available which I really like.

Quinoa Spinach Fritters with Chickpea Tomato Salad & Herb Yogurt Sauce

This dish was epic
This was my favorite boxed meal I've tried. I really like vegetarian dishes because they can be done so well. This dish was perfect. My husband was not keen on the idea of chickpea and tomato salad so I made this for lunch and will eat the other serving another day. This was filling, healthy, unique. I can probably replicate the yogurt sauce pretty easily with chives, plain greek yogurt, and a lemon. I have kept this recipe and will cook this again. Unbelievably good.

Green Chef Rating:
+/- Completely Organic but not always high quality ingredients: 8/10
+/- Recipes that I love but that aren't accessible to my husband: 5/10
Delicious and nutritious, and portion controlled: 10/10
+ Has the most customized options for multiple dietary preferences: 10/10
+ Cost prohibitive at $89/wk: 1/10
Total Score (out of 50): 34/50

WOULD RECOMMEND FOR COUPLES WITH MORE SIMILAR PREFERENCES THAN US & COUPLES WITH MORE MONEY THAN US.

***Use this link to try Green Chef for $29. https://api.dealspotr.com/v3/promotions/-ds-29-green-chef-organic-meal-delivery-4-free-meals-vs/go

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I think the vegan meal would have been my favorite too. Do the other subscription box companies usually have you make the sauces from scratch? Was this the first one that had pre-made sauces?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the first one and only (so far) with premade sauces. The others give you individual ingredients. But I've still got three boxes to go.

    ReplyDelete